In the face of steadily declining enrollments, some schools contend that retention is a significant part of the problem and have focused attention on strategies to keep their hard-earned students from walking out the door.
Student Personnel Administrators
Student personnel administrators include a variety of professionals, all centered on service to students: recruitment officers, admissions directors, financial aid officers, counseling staff, career services staff, housing staff, registrars, and deans of students, among others. These specialists benefit from sharing best practices and peer networking through their participation in the Student Personnel Administrators Network (SPAN). Annual conferences, webinars, a listserv (requires email address from a member school), and other resources cover topics such as administrative structures in various institutional settings, vocational identity, spiritual formation, seminary community, and position nomenclature.
The student personnel administrators' steering committee is still seeking workshop proposals for the 2015 conference. Submit your proposal ASAP to be considered.
Here are several professional organizations ATS student personnel administrators have found useful:
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
- American College Student Personnel Administrators
- Association for Christians in Student Development
- Association for Student Conduct Administration
- Association of American University Women
- Association of College and University Housing Officers
- Association of Higher Education and Disabilities
- Association of International Educators
- Forum for Theological Exploration
- National Academic Advising Association
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators
Contact: Linda Giehll