View the recent webinar hosted by the ATS Technology in Theological Education Group featuring Meri MacLeod, director of Digital Seminarian; Mary Lowe, executive director of the Association for Christian Distance Education; and Ronald Hannaford, director of the Office of Digital Learning and Program Development at Biola University.
The Technology in Theological Education Group of the Association of Theological Schools seeks the preservation and improvement of the quality of theological education in teaching and learning environments that use communicative media.
- To facilitate interaction and collaboration among ATS accredited theological institutions with a focus on technology.
- To provide knowledge of available technical tools and learning theory models to faculty of ATS accredited schools for enhanced instruction.
- To provide online learning to students/alumni for academic/pastoral growth.
- To advise the ATS Commission on Accrediting on issues related to the revision of standards concerning technology in theological education and the development of benchmarks for distributed and distance learning programs.
- To research and publish on our various areas of expertise within the publications of our various affinity groups and share projects within our own group.
- To offer insights to the ATS Commission on Accrediting during its revisions of technology standards, specifically concerning the use of technology in theological education at extension sites and distance education.
The group, founded in 2008, is open to those at ATS schools who are engaged in information technology and online learning strategies. It facilitates interaction and collaboration through its own website, listserv (requires email address from a member school), and active sharing of resources.
Here are several professional organizations ATS technology administrators have found useful:
- American Academy of Religion
- American Catholic Philosophical Association
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology
- Association of Christian Distant Educators
- Catholic Biblical Association
- Educational Testing Service
- Institute for Theological Encounter with Science and Technology
- National Catholic Educational Association
- Religious Education Association
- Society for Professors in Christian Education
- Society for the Study of Psychology and Wesleyan Theology
- Special Interest Group for University and College Computing Services
- Wesley Theological Society